Nothing much can be said with our Day 2. This day is for the wedding of our college friend and classmate. We had time in the morning and we managed to at least visit Baker… More
It’s been a while my friends. How are you? I miss you!
It’s been a while I have reviewed a movie in my blog. Well, I think this was the only time I entered a theater again anyway. But damn, I picked the right movie to watch in my big screen comeback . That I even made an on the spot movie review thru Vlog for the first time. This was made right after watching the movie.
Just a note though to my international readers (char!), I spoke in my native language in this video. That’s why I wrote this blog in English because I like to share my thoughts to the world.
Basically , here are the points why I love the film.
- RAMI MALEK. The most beautiful thing that happened in this movie . I didn’t know a single thing about this actor before. The whole movie I kept wondering who is he. Because he is so good. At some point, I forgot that he was not Freddie Mercury. If you think about it, he does not resemble Freddie that much though the make-up was great. But the mannerism, the movements , and the way he speaks mirror Mercury. He is now added to the roster of actors that I love. Actually at the point of this writing, I have finished Season 1 of Mr. Robot, the series that catapulted him to stardom. Although I still haven’t notice him in spite of that. He’s now the wallpaper of my cellphone even. I just love him now. Haha!
2. The members of the Queen in the movie closely resembled the originals. I haven’t mentioned this on my on-the spot blog. But the actor who played Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deakins are all great too. All the cast and the people behind choosing them just made the whole film nothing short of amazing.
3. The re-enactment of the LIVE AID was mindblowing! I feel goosebumps again just thinking about it. It totally transported you to the stadium and makes you feel you are part of the audience. On the other hand, it also made me feel envious that I was not really there when it happened. That I was born in an era when I won’t have the chance to watch Freddie Mercury live. It’s exhilarating ride but sad at the same time.
At the con-side , I do feel that they left out the dark times of Freddie’s life which led to his later demise. I might have to agree that it felt too “sanitized” . Then there are issues in the inaccuracies of the timeline too. That’s why the critics hated this movie. But I tolerate it because this does not lessen the enjoyment I had with the movie. And I love how they concentrated more on how their iconic songs were born by this genius talent. The movie is the celebration of the Queen’s artistry, over Freddie’s sickeness and shortcomings. And for that, it is a runaway success. Hands-down.
And the last, I love how this movie brought new and younger people to discover Freddie Mercury and the Queen songs. I have friends that was never a fan of Queen but they enjoyed the movie. And now they know how great Freddie and the Queen is. Simple things like that makes me feel giddy.
My verdict is 4.5 out of 5. Don’t concentrate with the timeline and just enjoy the ride. And again, Rami Malek gave a stellar performance. I just want to hug him and say “Damn man, good job. Thanks for bring Freddie back to life at least for a while.”
Thanks for reading and don’t forget that you are awesome!
FB: Gurezu Blog
I just want to share how I’m so delighted with this restaurant. And it’s not hard to tell that the reason was it is instagrammable. (Well aside from the food food). We came here after we had dinner in Firefly Roofdeck DiningFirefly Roofdeck Dining. Our stomachs were already full so we were just looking for desserts and for more pictures. Filling Bar Station Cafe’ was just perfect. I heard that the milkshakes here were great. More importantly, this restaurant is popular because this is “Riverdale-inspired”. I was not watching Riverdale but it was still thrilling how this restaurant transports you to old American restaurants in the 50’s.
Restaurant: Filling Bar Station and Cafe’
Exact Location: 5012 P Burgos, Makati, 1210 Metro Manila
Opening Hours: 24 hours in 7 days
Parking: Not sure on this one.
Contact : Official facebook page
Number: (02) 897 2053
This car fixture is the highlight of the resto. It’s actually just one of the tables which you can occupy with minimum consumable order of P 3000.00 .
and the photoshoot ensued.
Most kids nowadays probably has not experienced calling by this rotating dial phone.
Fooling around with Elvis Presley.
And now enjoying the milkshakes. I must say the milkshakes tasted great. One of the best!
My brother insisted on tea only because he’s on a diet. But he wanted to take a photo and pretend he’s drinking beer.
Will I go back here? Of course! We only spent 1 hour only here and there are too many fixtures to interact to.And there’s the food I haven’t tried yet. . I even didn’t catch the details for the milkshakes. Maybe I’ll go back with my friends next time. It’s perfect for late night chikahan since it’s open for 24 hours.
Repeating the details:
Restaurant: Filling Bar Station and Cafe’
Exact Location: 5012 P Burgos, Makati, 1210 Metro Manila
Opening Hours: 24 hours in 7 days
Parking: Not sure on this one.
Contact : Official facebook page
Number: (02) 897 2053
FIREFLY ROOFDECK DINING!
No reservation needed! No entrance fee. You also don’t need to leave an ID in the hotel reception. Have a taste of feeling elite while enjoying the Makati City View in Firefly Roofdeck Restaurant. Located at the 32nd floor of City Garden Grand Hotel in Makati. Complete address is 8008 Makati Avenue, Corner Kalayaan, Makati, 1200 Manila, Philippines. Super easy to locate thru Grab.
Why this place is great?
- Well first and foremost, you’ll get to enjoy the skyscraper’s view of Makati. The city lights makes the atmosphere romantic. That’s why most people dining here are couples.
2. It’s not only for couples. This place is also great for portrait shoots. Just like what I did with my family. I brought them here because I was looking for a new place to celebrate my birthday. And then I learned about this place through the web. It was an abrupt plan actually. But because they are with me, they know I chose this place for instant photoshoot session.
3.Affordable food. Well of course it’s a little bit more expensive. But considering the atmosphere and the view, this is now affordable compared to most high-end restaurants. They offer different cuisine ranging from Spanish, Filipino, Japanese and Korean. They also offer beer and cocktails.
Lechon Sisig for P350.00. This is already okay for 2-3 servings.
To give you an idea, here’s a glimpse on the menu. The Japanese and Korean dishes are in buffet package in P800+. This is grabbed from zomato.com
Pasta is popular with the dating couples here.
The veranda seats has waiting list and can only accommodate up to 3 persons only. But for the seats inside, there is no waiting list. And you can freely take photoshoots in veranda as well.
So if you’re in Manila and thinking of a romantic dinner with your partner, you can now consider Firefly Roofdeck Dining.
If you have other places that offer the same dining on a roofdeck around Manila, please leave a comment below. I’ll gladly visit it.
It’s not too late for everything ❤
Please like my fb page: Gurezu Blog for more pics.
I’ve been reading these past few weeks hoping to re-instill the magic of reading books and inspire me to write again. Months ago, I discovered that an officemate is actually a writer from romanceclassbook and told me that they have upcoming writing workshop and I could win a slot. The condition is to read five book from romanceclass and write a review about it. And I thought why not? It was a good opportunity. I’ll be reading new books with added motivation that I would be able to learn more about writing. Two birds in one stone right?
I have heard of romanceclass before but I usually dismiss it. I am not into romance, may it be books and movies. I love “love stories” in the backdrop of action scenes, comedy, horror, drama or anything. But I am not into love-centric genre. So at first I thought taking this romanceclassbook marathon would be a challenge. But low and behold, and I found myself digging to these books. Mainly because they are mostly not as love-centric as I thought. They touch other themes of life like quarterlife crisis and adulting anxieties. And I love that there is “in touch with reality” experiences in these books.
Without further ado, here are the books I got for the romanceclassbook marathon.
1. Don’t Tell My Mother by Brigette Bautista.
Remember when I told you earlier that I have an officemate who is a published writer from romanceclassbooks? This is her book. I got in touched with her because I really liked her short story in the anthology book from our company’s literary club. And then I learned that she has a published book released in the wild so I immediately told her that I’ll buy a copy.
Don’t Tell My Mother is about 19-year old Sam who found herself attracted with the widowed neighbor “Clara” which push her to question her deep Christian upbringing by her religious mother. First of all, this story reminded me of three things. One was the character “Sumire” from Haruki Murakami’s “Sputnik Sweetheart” who was also drawn to a women 17 years older than her. Second was the indie film “Ang Huling Cha-cha ni Anita” who’s also about a girl falling in love with an older new woman in town. Last would be “Blue is the Warmest Color” . The film is something like that too although not too big in age differences but it’s also about a teenage girl falling in love with an older woman. It left me wondering if lesbians really has a thing for older woman. If you have the answer feel free to comment.
I haven’t seen both films I mentioned above and just learned the premises through trailers and articles. I admit I am not into lesbian literature. I am more of a fan of yaoi and bromance. I don’t know why but I know it started with me watching the anime’ “Gravity”. But still, I enjoyed this book with Brigette’s amazing way of describing things and feelings just like what she did in the literature anthology. I could feel the tension and how it is suffocating to live to the place she grew up with it. I actually have a lesbian friend with a religious mother. Not to go deeper into that but I somehow saw this premise in reality. But with my friend’s case, the mother still doesn’t know. Or maybe she already knows but just waiting for a confessions. Either way, I should not tell her mother. The title applies to me. What a coincidence.
There was this feature in the end of every romanceclass book where it has a lists of question that encourages Book Club Discussion. For this book, it has eight questions but I’ll just choose one.
6. Right at the end. Sam’s mother threatens to send her to a conditioning camp to inhibit her homosexuality. Do you think homosexuality can be cured? Discuss this scene in context of nature vs. nurture.
Can it really be cured? I think not. Because I don’t see homosexuality as an illness in the first place. I find it hard to answer between nature and nurture though. I believe it can be both. I mean both sexes can be attracted to whoever in a matter of time. It is in the matter of their choices, limitation,preferences and happenings in their life. The point is I really don’t see homosexuality as an illness and it does not need a cure.
Final Verdict: Genre is not my cup of tea but I love the narrative and delivery. 3.5 out of 5 stars.
2. Playing Autumn by “Mina V. Esguerra”
Haley Reese met her ultimate childhood celebrity crush Oliver Cabrera which inspired her to be a musician herself. The better news, they are heading to the same destination as they are both picked as mentors in the same music festival. The best news, he sits next to her in the flight and actually initiated the conversation.
Good points.The ending is satisfying and super simot-sarap kilig to the bones. It was done just right without reaching the zone of “too good to be true” fangirl story. This has also touched the common adulting dilemna which is DOUBT. The moment of confusion of the path you should take, whether to choose passion or practicality. Feeling lost in the future. Among other things.
Well the story turned to being steamy. (Hot Hot Hot!) I was a little bit irked on how fast and how far their connection went in just whole weekend. But well, if you met your ultimate celebrity crush and he somehow returned the attraction, who won’t be vulnerable enough to give in? If I’ll be listening to logic I won’t advise everyone with how Haley handled it. But if you are in her situation, I’m pretty sure the voices of logic will shut right up. LOL! I’m a bit conflicted about this. I am against it but I understand. Haha!
Anyway I just love how Haley snapped the fantasy out her system after the steamy weekend with hot Oliver Cabrera. I mean she enjoyed it but she knows the reality of the celebrities. So she did not linger with the fantasies. That what made me super like her.
I don’t know if this is a moral lesson. I agree with the book that in life, we can connect with a person super fast like we have known them for life. The important thing is we should somehow listen to our right reasoning. And also, don’t be afraid to go out of a relationship specially if you’re just staying because of security alone. This pertains to Haley and Logan’s relationship.
I totally shipped Oliver and Haley. I believed that even their future together is quite shaky, their connection could be very well established in the future if they work for it.
Final verdict: Love the ending. 4 out of 5 stars.
3. Welcome to Envy Park by Mina Esguerra
Another Mina Esguerra novel. She really have a fancy dealing about quarter-life crisis and adults having uncertainty about their futures. The protagonist here also ignited an instant connection with a crush. But at least this one has more logical reasoning and the intimacy stretched out for weeks.
Moira Vasquez just had an apartment in N.V Park, the fruit of her 5 years in Singapore. But now she is unemployed and has no boyfriend. She considered her stay in the country as temporary while she figures out what would she do next and that might include leaving again for another country. Entering the picture is Ethan from the 9th floor who’s a successful IT consultant who somehow made the decision-making quite complicated
I haven’t gone to work abroad myself but I have lingering thoughts about it. I like Moira’s 4 quadrant hobby because I think I do it myself. Her thoughts about the people she encountered in Envy Park and how she assess their life is damn relate-able. Ethan got adult issues of his own too. He considered himself as “Leaf on the Wind” , just going with the flow, getting anything what is on the plate. I liked that in the end, these two characters stood up on what they really want. in that way they grow. I like how the book speaks about quarter-life crisis and somehow it made me feel as a reader to not feel alone in my own journey through it.
I think the best thing about this book is Moira’s friendship with Roxie. I love their interactions and their inside jokes. They have different ways in dealing with life but they compliment each other. This makes the book more enjoyable to read.
Final verdict: Love the ending too. 4 out of 5 stars.
4. What About Today by Dawn Lanuza
I picked this book because I love Dawn Lanuza’s “Boyfriend Backtrack” which I will review last because its my most favorite in this book marathon. It is not at par with the wonders I experienced with “Boyfriend’s Backtrack” but it does not mean this book was a let down. This book has different charm, more on innocent kind of love. It makes you remember that magical feeling of meeting an interesting stranger in your teenage years and the awkward feeling when you found yourself developing a crush.
Gemma went to Funtastic World alone to celebrate her seventeenth birthday by conquering her fear of extreme rides. About to give up when an intrigued bored employee, about the same age as her, approached and offered to be with her to get through the rides. His name is Aiden, and he seems nice.
This is a very light read. With only seven chapters, the premise happened only within hours inside the amusement park. “Cute, funny and cute again” That’s how I will describe their small adventures inside the park as they slowly opened up with each other. There’s nothing much to say about since the premise is simple and the dynamics of the story is in the dialogue of the two characters rather than the plot of the story. It makes you miss the feeling where in you don’t have any idea about relationships. And you still believe that love is purely magic.
Final verdict: If you want to remember an innocent love or crush, read this book. 3.5 out of 5.
5. Boyfriend Backtrack by Dawn Lanuza
I immensely enjoyed this book. This is the thickest of the five but reading this is just a breeze. I definitely see myself grabbing more of Dawn Lanuza’s book. Her writing style is lit!
Regina’s boyfriend of three years Kevin finally proposed in a posh restaurant. But a weird thing happened to her. The faces of her exes flashed through her eyes in that supposed to be magical moment. She confessed this with her friends and was convinced that maybe, she needs to confront unresolved relationship issues with her past before tying the knot.
And wow Regina’s lovelife is colorful. She had a wide range of exes from an Emo highschool ex, to womanizer and doctor . All of which she had no proper break-up with. Her encounter with each one of them after the fateful proposal were both exciting and hilarious. To begin with, I could really feel that Regina is not much into this wedding. And people around her, her sister and friends seems to know this very well even though she denies it. I felt Regina’s looming anxiety and Dawn has captured this with her writing very well.
I just became frustrated because the plot is somewhat similar to a novel that I’ve been working on. It’s not exactly the same but it also deals with the exes. And Dawn has written this very good. Feeling lost right now. But this won’t stop me from continuing what I started.
And because I love the book, I’ll be answering of all the guide questions.
- Is there a certain song that reminds you of one specific person? Why do you think this song reminds you of him/her?
Well in the book, that would be “There She Goes” by “The La” . I’m listening to it right now and I just can’t help imagining how this song was used in that particular scene. Ahh feels so giddy again.
But okay the question is about me. What songs that reminds me of one specific person? Well, I have an answer for that. That would be ” Here There and Everywhere” by The Beatles. I don’t know this song until someone sang this to me over the phone. I don’t know whenever I hear this song, it creeps me that I somehow remember how I feel back then. Like a time machine. That maybe on that time I was truly adored and loved. Maybe. I’m not sure. And I don’t care if its real anymore. But somehow, this song makes me feel that way. And that’s why I don’t want to hear thing song again.
2. Do you think it’s wise to revisit your past to create a better future for yourself ?
Yes! Like Regina, you need to re-visit and conquered the past. Because if you can’t deal and accept, I believe any suppressed feeling will just carry on in the future. And it will destroy your inner peace.
3. I won’t type the question anymore because its too long. But my answer is simple NO.
4. Do you think the person you were ten years ago would be happy with who you become now?
Oh no, this question. I don’t think she’ll be happy. Maybe she’ll be shocked with the things I was able to do or what I have become. But she’ll be definitely sad because this is not the life she imagined ten years from now. Sorry self.
But I’ll do my best. At least I am a better person and I don’t get in much trouble through the years. And I still have many opportunities to expand my horizon. And just like Regina, I’ll be courageous to start all over again if I have to.
5. If you would be given a chance to take a step back from your life, where would you want to do it? Why?
I think I would want to go back in Highschool. I would take care more of myself. I would be more sociable. I would take in-charge of my life. I would have concentrated to develop skills. I would have been braver. That’s all.
Wew! That’s it! Finally! My final verdict to this books is a “must-grab”. It will entertain you but will leave you thinking about your life in general, not just relationship.
Dawn Lanuza and your books, wait for me because I’ll be reading more of your works.
Final Verdict: What a joyful emotional ride. 4.5 out of 5 stars!!!
And yes, that concludes my book-marathon. I am proud of myself that I finally manage to read books amidst my social media addiction. I am definitely inspired to write again. Time to pass to this reviews. Will I get a slot? I hope so. But no matter what, I won’t stop reading romanceclassbook! #SupportLocal, that’s my advocacy.
By the way, romanceclass is a community of Filipino romance writers. For more information, you can visit romanceclassbooks.com.
It’s not Too Late For Everything!
It’s been almost a month since my last blog post. So let me complain a bit, the passing of time is ridiculous! I mean ..what the hell?
I was so busy lately but I never run out of the things to write. I have done a load of photoshoot and traveled Palawan. But checking my pile of backlog albums became overwhelming. Just sorting my Palawan pics is tiresome already. There’s too many things to write about but I don’t know where to start so I ended up slacking off. But it makes me sad. It feels like I am lacking as a person when I don’t blog or write for a long time. Do you feel the same thing blogger people?
So today, I promised myself to blog no matter what. Even it looks so-so. Just break this blocker mindset that has been keeping my flow. I decided to blog about my self-portrait shoot.
I have done this shoot on the night of August 27, 2018. This is our last night in El Nido, Palawan. We were staying at St. John Island View Pensionne House. They have this cute small bar but tourist seems not giving it attention. I guess people were mostly tired from the tour so they are likely just retreat in their rooms rather than spend some time at the mini-bar.
My friends and I would like to have pictures there but we ended up mostly straight to the bed once we had dinner. On our last night though, even I am so tired myself, I pushed myself to snap photos. Even just for a while. So I went there alone. Armed with a camera mounted on my small tripod, I had my self-portrait session. It’s not every day you have the whole bar for yourself. But when it happened, I don’t drink. I’ll have a photoshoot. Haha!
So here it is. I set my camera in timer with interval mode. Every batch, I have 10 photo snaps in 5 seconds interval. It looks like a papparazi shots, just slower. My camera as always is Fuji-XA3. I didn’t use presets this time is there’s too much color already which I love.
There are empty bottles on display. I get one of those as props. Looks like its okay since no one from the reception bothered me.
Props to me. I do looks like I’m sort of drunk. I’m actually just feeling really sleepy.
Getting another drink because I can’t get enough.
“Let’s make ipit para it looks like malaki, haha!”
There’s a ton of pictures actually but most are blurred since I’m transitioning from one position to next. I must have looked like a fool. But thankfully, there was no people around. The receptionist were just silently supporting from a far. When I was done, that’s the only time they turn the lights-off. They must have been waiting for me for a long time. I think I shoot for an hour. Haha!
And that’s a wrap! I’m now in full smile because I managed to write a blog. Even if it’s so-so. Small step to get my writing energy back.
How about you? Did you experience this “I want to write, but I can’t just write” sort of thing? How did you overcome it? Any tips?
Luljetta is a spa-resort located in Antipolo. It promises relaxation and commune to nature spa facilities . It is getting popular nowadays so we went here to celebrate my mother’s birthday since it is not too far away from Manila. Truth to be told, it is a great place. Here’s the list of what I would remember about this place.
1. The Welcome Golf-kart Ride. Actually it’s not far from the entrance to registration area. But Luljetta don’t want their guests to feel tired. So they will welcome you with a golf-car ride.
2. The thrill of choosing our bathrobe for the day and slaying it.
3. When we can’t stop laughing with Dr. Fish. It was so damn ticklish! We were laughing our hearts out. It took a long while before we were finally get used to it.
Here’s the video of our hardship to get along with Dr. Fish.
3. The relaxing skyline view of Antipolo. The silhoutte of Manila is also totally visible from Luljetta Cafe’
That’s Manila Metropolis right there.
4. The delicious food at Luljetta Cafe’. Along with the basic package, they offer “Antipolo’s Best Suman” and lemongrass tea. The suman is something you must not miss. The rice is crispy then soaked in honey and showered with bits cashew nuts. The combination was perfect and it was truly enjoyable chewing it. I already miss it while typing this.
I love the presentation for this one but this is the food we like the least among our orders. I actually forgot what it is but I remembered it was sour. And I’m not a fan of sour foods.
Sesame Fried Chicken. Not an ordinary-tasting chicken. I also love the sesame sauce that comes with it.
Steamed Fish in Fish Soya Sauce. I also love this one. Totally recommended.
5. Of course the Luljetta Cafe’ itself is unforgettable. It has colorful interior and what I love the most is their art gallery made by our local artists.
4. The Water Spa and a sweet couple we encountered during our stay here. If you are familiar with ACE Water Spa, this is the amenity that corresponds to it. In water spa, the water do the massage. It was kind of disappointing moment though that one of their water spa machine is not working during our visit.
Meanwhile I hereby introduce to you my bitter sister. A big thanks to this couple who cooperated in our impromptu shoot.
Couples should be banned here! hmp!
Yakapin ko na lang sarili ko tutal I love myself naman e.
I will hug myself because I also love myself.
May sarili naman akong kamay para hawakan..akala niyo kayo lang?
I have my hands to hold. You are not the only one.
Ano ba ‘yan???? Isang tao lang dapat per slot e.
What the f??? Only one person should be on one slot. Grrr!
My face be like…smile lang kahit inggit na inggit na.
As for me, I only care about slaying my bikini. haha!
5. The cute cottages, kubo and houses. This places would be perfect for catching-up conversations with friends, taking a nap or even drinking a cup of coffee. Some rooms have available do-your-own coffee features.
6. The Infinity Pool.
Actually we were not the only people here. It suddenly rained at this moment (with thunder and lightning) and I was not brave enough to submerge myself in to the cold water.
7. Things we have missed. Our package is only the most basic one. It was not enough to enjoy all amenities. We haven’t tried their specialty massage, sauna and jacuzzi. They also have overnight-stay inn here but we haven’t tried that as well since we have other plans.
8. The free souvenirs! When it’s time to go. You can choose either bracelet or rosary as a remembrance. I chose the latter.
Overall, I truly love our stay here in Luljetta Hanging Gardens. It was generally a rainy day but that did not completely spoiled the relaxation we got here. I won’t mind going back. I’ll probably getting the more expensive package next time. Like the one with massage. However, the rooms they offer is quite expensive for me and I don’t see myself trying that in the future.
HOW TO BOOK
- Officially, the booking for Luljetta Hanging Gardens is in this site https://www.bienvenidotours.com/luljettas-place.html . You would be needing a paypal account, credit card or mastervisa debit card. It is advisable to book it in 3-7 days in advance. Below are the summary of their package. This came from their official fb page in this link. I also highligted the package that we bought.
2. Once you check-out your booking, you will be receiving an email from Bienvenido Tours which includes your receipt.
3. You will now be asked on the details of your arrival and contact number.
4. It is important to keep a digital copy or print-out of the receipt upon registration.
HOW TO GO.
There are many ways to go here but here’s the one we took since we were coming from Manila. For other ways, here’s the link for route suggestions.
- Go to LRT2 Recto Station. Select Santolan bound station.
- From Santolan Station, ride a Antipolo Cathedral bound jeep but ask the driver to drop you off the Antipolo City Proper.
- From Antipolo City Proper, ride a tricycle going to Loreland Farm Resort. Luljetta Hanging Gardens is inside this resort too.
- Going back to Antipolo City Proper is also through tricycle.
See the part 2 of our Adventure: Witness No-Sweat Sea of Cloud in Treasure Mountain
Do you know a place that is also rainy-day friendly? Hit the comment and let me know!
Remember, it’s not always too late. Get the life you want!
Capsule Movie Review: Buybust (2018)
Directed by: Erik Matti
WHAT I LIKE:
1.Simple lang ang story. Nagkaroon ng tip ang kapulisan na nagtatago ang big time druglord na si Biggie Chen sa Barangay Gracia ni Maria. Naatasan ang squad na kinabibilingan ni Manigan (Anne Curtis) para sa BUYBUST operation na ito. Ngunit natagpuan nila ang sarili sa isang set-up at ang tanong ay kung makakalabas sila ng buhay sa mala puzzle, masikip at komplikadong lugar ng Barangay na pati mamayan ay galit sa kapulisan.
2. Shakey Camera work sa simula. Tila ba hinahanda na ang mga mata at puso mo sa gulo ng mangyayari.
3. Abangan niyo iyong 3-minute one-cut action scene. Ang UNIQUE at ASTIG ng mga FIGHTING SCENES dito!!! Never ko pang nakita sa kahit anong Filipino action movies or even Hollywood. Literal na makapagpigil-hininga ang habulan, taguan at labanan. At some point napapasigaw rin kaming mga nanonood. No holds barred din pagdating sa brutal scenes. (Hindi ko malilimutan si Cactus girl.) Realistic din iyong tipong tumatama tlaga ang mga palo at suntok. Wala ring masyadong maraming satsat (except on one scene) Bloodshed kung bloodshed.
4. Newfound respect for Anne Curtis as actress dahil naging legit na action star siya dito. Pero ang pinakapaborito ko si Brandon Vera na Mixed Martial Artist din pala sa totong buhay. Noong una akala ko hindi siya marunong mag-Tagalog at so-so lang siguro ang acting. Pero solid naman pala. Hindi lang sa action scenes kung hindi sa pag-arte. SA kaniya ko nakuha ang puso ng pelikula more than Anne. More action movies to this man please!
5. And let’s not forget the music scoring na lalong nagpadagdag ng tensyon sa mga eksena. Ginamit rin ang Lupang Hinirang” dito with subtlety and respect. Ang naisip ko sa tagpong iyon, parang pinahihiwatig na ang gulo hindi lang sa barangay Gracia ni Maria kung hindi sa buong Plipinas. Iyon ang nadama ko. For this let’s commend the man behind the musical scores. Malek Lopez and Erwin Romulo!
6. Ito talaga ang pinaka-nakaka elibs sa lahat. The stage design of Barangay Gracia ni Maria. Ito kasi talaga ang nagpahirap sa squad ni Anne Curtis at pati na rin sa mga kontrabidia. Slum, squatter’s area na para bang maze sa sobrang gulo ng daan , kanal at mga lusutan. Magka-crash ang Waze sa lugar na ‘to. Naisip ko nga kung totoo itong lugar na ito, pwede na siyang maging tourist spot. Excting kung paano ka makakalabas. Pinanood ko tuloy iyong” the making” clips and most of it is a set design. Ang galing sobra! Napaka-realistic. First time ko napa-search kung sino ang Set designers/ Production designers ng pelikula and they are “Michael N. Español and Roma Regala”. (I hope I got the names right)
Clips showing what is the inspiration of the film and the making of production design.
7. Hindi na ako nagulat sa twist. But definitely satisfied sa ending.
8. Ang galing ni Arjo Atayde! Short appearance but it’s a bomb. HIndi ko siya kilala before. And syempre Nonie Buencamino forever. Mapa-kontrabida or bida, effective talaga siya. (See Smaller and Smaller Circles, Dagitab, Heneral Luna). Other actors and actresses may it be in the squad or the drug cartel did their acting very well. Wala akong masabi.
9. Erik Matti’s is the best director at this time. To the point inaabangan ko na mga pelikula niya since OTJ.
10. The film is clearly insinuating about the current anti-drug war in our country. It is entertaining but super relevant. Mapapaisip ka na lang kung tama pa ba ang nangyayari sa bansa.
WHAT I DON’T LIKE
1. May mga action scenes si Anne na pwede naman siya sugurin ng sabay-sabay ng mga nakapaligid sa kaniya pero isa-isa pa rin silang sumusugod.
2. Hindi pwede sa mahihiluhin. May mga action scenes na hindi malinaw at nadaan lang sa shakey camera work. Sa umpisa lang naman.
3. May isang eksena rito na napasobra ata ng satsat. “Ano ba barilin mo na kasi!!!” moment. Ganun.
4. At some point hindi ko na maintindihan iyong ibang ordinary citizens dito. HIndi ko masyadong naintindihan kung ano iyong hugot nila kung bakit sobrang mithiin sa pagsugod sa squad. Parang wala rin naman silang strong bond sa drug cartel. Maiintindihan ko iyong mga nagtatago sa bahay-bahay para di na madamay. May part pa na sila na nag-aaway at sila na lang talaga magulo haha. In short, may ordinary citizens na panggulo lang. Gusto lang ata ng away.
FINAL VERDICT: 9.5 out of 10 stars. Superb and super relevant pero para sa mahihiluhin, uminom ka muna ng Bonamine.
Support Local Films!
Disclaimer: Not photos are mine. CTTO.
Well….. in photography!
I don’t really know how to do that in real life. Ask David Blaine maybe? But in photography, I could definitely share you some secrets . And this is surprisingly easy.
First Technique: Photoshop
What you will need: Camera, Tripod, a flexible model and stool or blocks for support.
1.Capture a photo of the background without the subject.
2. And then capture the photo with the subject. Take in mind that the camera was not moved and the lighting are the same with the background alone. For better stability, I strong advice to use tripod. This would make the editing easier and realistic.
3. Now, it’s time to open Photoshop to merge the two photos together and delete the objects that supports the subject by “Masking” tool. In that case, follow my recommended YouTube tutorial below. I assure you, this masking tool in Photoshop is MAGIC!
These are the other output.
As you have noticed, the color grading of the photos have also changed in the final output. It’s because I also polished it via Lightroom desktop app. I used Rufosque preset created by Anthony Rufo. I got this preset from Lightroom Classrom PH community in Facebook. If you’re interested with Lightroom presets, I talked about it more here.
2. Second Technique: Jump Shots
If you are not interested with Photoshop, you can still achieve levitation photos by simply jumping and setting the camera in LOW SHUTTER SPEED.
The following photos are captured by my friend angelisantina and was taken way back 2013! This is me 5 years ago. I’m not much into photography back then but I’m into modeling …well to my photographer friends.
This is largely inspired by yowayowacamera.com, a Japanese photographer whose daily levitation photos became a worldwide hit! These are just some photos from her series that I really liked.
Now the question is, how would you make an ordinary jump shot into levitation photo? As a model for levitation photos myself, the key is always the facial expression. As much as possible, make your face look relax. It also helps that you look upwards as if you are heading to that direction even if you are about to fall down. Leg muscle should look relaxed too. In that matter, it would be easier to wear long dresses and leggings to hide the tension in the leg muscles for higher jumps. No doubt why in most yowayowa’s photos, she is wearing long dresses.
Although here, I bravely wore jumper shorts haha! These photos were taken at Quiapo church, a popular landmark church in the Philippines.
There are disadvantages of this technique though:
- This is tiring as you need to repeatedly jump to be able to have good shots.
- You will look like a fool for passerbys.
- Prone to accident
- Not ok at night time since low shutter speed will make your photos really dark.
We also had a shoot in UP Diliman!
Shot location at Little Tokyo
Special thanks to the following!
- To my mentor G2Photography for teaching me how to edit in Photoshop and all things I know about Photography.
- To my friend angelisantina.wordpress.com for taking those great photos of me from the past.
How about you? Would you be interested in Levitation Photography? Are you going for photoshop or jumpshot? Let me know!
Remember, Sharing is Twice the Learning,
July 23 Monday.
July 24, 2018 Tuesday.
As you can see. I haven’t written any for Monday. It’s because I slept immediately as soon as I lie on my bed. I remember thinking if I should write a blog or just a short addition to my short story. But as I contemplate, I fell asleep. Isn’t that the best sleep? The one with a kind of resistance on your part but sleep won and you didn’t even notice you fell into the deep snooze. I slept at around 10:30pm. For today, I am grateful that my urgent issue at work was finally resolved. I’ve been in a meeting almost the whole day. I talked with 3 different nationalities: Filipino, Indian and Swedish. I know I caught myself failing on my grammar or just can’t say anything that would make sense at all. I felt like I embarassed myself. However, when the issue was finally resolved, I got a funniest remark from one of the Filipinos. He said my English and accent depended on who I am talking to. They caught me specially having a different sophisticated accent when talking someone from Sweden. Hahaha that’s a really funny insight for me. At least its not that bad I guess. I mean the issue was resolved regardless. It means I have done enough communication.lol And because the issue was resolved, I was able to catch up on the Zumba Party organized by our building admin. I was late almost for one hour. I sneaked behind my friend Mommy J who was already from the start of the program. I secretly filmed her dance before I started to participate actively in the routine. Haha! Not too long after I arrived, it’s was break time already. My timing was great. The event has provided free coconut drink and banana.
After breaktime, we danced again for one hour more. I perspired and get tired a lot. And I was in for only half of the program. What more if I started from the beginning just like my friend. Haha! Before we went down, I asked my friend Mommy J to take a pic of me. Remembrance.
After getting my things, I ate my dinner and went home. As soon as I arrived at the dorm, the rain fell hard. What a relief that I’m already at home. Haha! I’m too lazy to use an umbrella. I did some writing duties before writing this. Wow today I felt accomplished today!
It’s 1 am already. Lol. Late again. Good luck tomorrow.
July 25, 2018, Wednesday
I got a problem. No one was available to be our subject for our next club’s photosession. That was sad. 😥 and I haven’t posted a new blog here. I’m too busy really. I wish I have the time in the world. The good thing about today was the free dinner at Uncle Cheffy’s. It was a send-off dinner to our HR who’s already leaving for greener pasture. As soon as I arrived, the beef steak dinner was served. I was supposed to NOT eat rice during dinner but when I realized, I have eaten everything on my plate. I have also eaten a lot of calamares. It happened so fast. And I was the person telling everyone I was not that hungry. Haha! Well the food is free so…
On my way back to dorm, I walk passed a salon. I remembered that i’ve been wanting to cut my hair short because I’m finding it very difficult to shampoo and comb my hair. More than half of my routine every morning is consumed by untangling my super thick and long hair. So I decided to inquire. I thought they would advise me to visit next time because its getting late. I thought its already 9:30pm. To my surprised, it’s only 8:30pm and they agreed to process my hair with Brazilian Blowdry treatment and haircut. All for P1500.00.
I showed them pictures of my peg hairstyle.
Haha! Do you recognize her? If you don’t, this came from a Japanese show in Netflix entitles Kakegurui. It’s about a school of cumpulsive gamblers. I don’t like the show that much but I really like the heroine. She’s so damn pretty with that sleek hair.
I also stressed that I want my bangs to be light. I’m bad in maintaining full bangs. So I like bangs that I can hide when I don’t feel like it. The hair stylist suggested that I should have shower bangs instead. Sounds promising so I said, ok Go!
Here’s the before pics. To be honest, my long hair was looking sleek and shiny tonight. Like wow, why now? When I am about to cut you? Why just look good and manageable now?
For a while I had second thoughts but I still decided to go for it because I want to make my life easier.
And after 2 hours, here’s the result!!
I feel lighter now.What a relief! I can say that I am satisfied with the result.
I gave P200.00 tip to the hairstylist for a job well done.
I wore the same color shirt of all the staffs here in the salon. I belong! I went home and now writing this! It’s already past 1 am. I am hopeless. Haha!
July 26, 2018, Thursday
What can I say about today? Well it’s full of food and meetings!
Team Lunch-out at Oppah Chicken!
For our breaktime in the afternoon, one of our officemates treated us for noodles, chicken and pizza.
There are still lot of chicken and pansit left for dinner. I am so full.
One fact about me, I love spicy food. And if the food aint spicy, I got to soaked the food with my special sauce I bought from a food bazaar in our building.
Introducing. Bad Boy Tikboy. INSANE IN THE BRAIN!
I’ll be sleeping at the office for tonight because I have an activity at dawn. You should know by now that I have a bad habit of sleeping late. So better sleep here in the office or else I’m screwed.
But before sleeping. Let me share with you a photo of my officemate enjoying my Lolita Jumpskirt.
July 27, 2018 Friday
I felt so sleepy the whole day. I only had 3 hours sleep today for a work-related activity this morning. I went out of work at 5:30pm. But at the same time I was so hungry. One of the greatest conflict of life is to feel hungry and sleepy at the same time. I decided to eat in a not so crowded restaurant on my way home. I brought my camera with me so I decided to take pictures while I wait for my food.
To tell you the truth, I fell asleep while waiting. Maybe 2 minutes long. My camera was on the table. Thank God. If someone with a bad heart, he could stole my camera and run far away I before I could be aware of it. LOL.
Anyway I was satisfied with the food. I’ll reserve other pictures for a separate food blog.
Yes I know, I got a lot of backlogs already. I wish I have the time of the world 😥
After this, I excitedly book a grab ride to my dorm. Write a little for this. Then sleep. I’ll be sleeping at 9:30pm. This is EARLY!!! This is Happening at last!
This entry covers July 18-July 22, 2018.
July 18, 2018 Wednesday
Huh? It’s Wednesday already? What happened to Monday and Tuesday? Haha! The passing time is really getting on my nerves!!!
I actually know what happened last two days. I woke up, get to work, go home and chat with my friends about the Chiong Murder Case. Tuesday was the same. The documentary “Give Up Tomorrow” really hit the sensibilities of the people in social media. I know there are a lot of things going on in our country: extra-judicial killings per se but I guess, people now realize that weight of being wrongly convicted. In the case of Paco, its already 21 years and its still counting. Who won’t be afraid. ? Having talked with people who believe he is innocent and guilty, having read the commentaries and Supreme Court files, I think I am ready to release my own verdict soon.
Here’s the documentary aka horror story. Try watching it and ask yourself. Is Paco really innocent? Does he deserve death penalty?
But for the mean time, what happened today was this
1. I WAS NOT FEELING WELL and I stayed in the dorm all day. I edited my pictures from Luljetta Hanging Gardens and my album in our Levitation Photography Session. This is the result of my edit for today.
Obviously, levitation photography is a technique that will make the subject look he’s floating on air. Our model in this picture was an officemate. He’s our videographer actually but can pass as a model as you can see! Haha! This photoshoot was done last month. Talk about procrastination! Ahahaha!
July 19, 2018, Thursday
Woah! It’s Thursday already? Seriously are you kidding me?
Nothing much has happened today. As usual I went to work. It was raining all day. We can see outside through the glass walls and damn there was 0 visibility. I was supposed to attend a photography seminar and yet again, I would not dare to deal the Edsa traffic because of the rain. And besides I got an issue to solve.
Yesterday I was absent right? Now my office mates are jokingly asking me what happened to my “job interview” yesterday. I told them I really did not feel well and I stayed in my room. So they concluded that I just had a Skype interview then hahah! They don’t really believe me haha!
My friends and I did not talk about Paco anymore. Yesterday we discussed that we should move on already. Whether or not the allegations are true, nothing will happen if the case would not be re-opened. Major tv station seems not to mind the chaos happening in social media. They used to catch the latest thing but they seem eerily silent about it. Hmmm.. Meanwhile the reviews for “Jacqueline Comes Home” finally arrived and all of them are saying its a trash movie. That it did not portray even the Chiong side accurately. But well, movie is really like that right?
I went home, ate my dinner then open my laptop to continue my levitation photography editing. I’ll be sharing the full set soon in another post. For now, I’ll be sharing a silhouette photo that I also took during the same session. I edited this in Adobe Lightroom using Rufosque preset.
It’s 2 am already. I’m still awake and awfully hungry. I’ll grab something to eat then hit the sack! I predict I’ll be having a hard time waking up tomorrow and regret that I did not sleep early. Hahahahah!
July 20, 2018 Friday
1. WOKE UP LATE. REGRETED SLEEPING LATE.
4. MATCHA GREEN TEA FRAPPE
5. EAT. GO HOME.
6. IT’S LATE AGAIN. 1:11 am. But the great thing is its Saturday tomorrow. I wonder how long my sleep for tonight.
July 21, 2018 Saturday
As expected, I woke up at around 1pm. This is way past breakfast and even late for lunch. But I deserve all this sleep. I don’t feel guilty. But still, I could warp my body clock a bit. Nothing beats waking up early and getting lot of shits done before lunch.
Suppose to be, today I have a reunion outing to attend. But because of the weather and bad flood, it was cancelled. Good thing because this weather is making me feeling lazy for adventures.
I decided to take the first meal of the day in a nearby cafe’.
I have paid the bill when a mysterious song began. I can’t grasp the lyrics but the melody is so sweet and romantic. I pictured myself suddenly in a middle of a night, slow-dancing with a tall man. It was not sark becausethe night was clear and there are fireflies flying and dancing around us. I must find that song!
I was about to record some bits of the song for later research when it faded away and replaced by a Katy Perry song. I approached the staff of the cafe’ and ask what was the song. He said he did not notice or aware what the song was before katy pery. And also the pkaylist was shuffled in spotify. We looked at rhe playlist so we could figured it out. I even hummed the tune to narrow down the choices. We played two songs before the mystery was sokved! I took a photo of the screen to take a note of the title. It was Flightless Bird, American Mouth by Iron & Wine. Hmm the title sounds interesting
I bid goodbye to that helpful staff.
After that I packed my things and booked a trip to Glorietta mall. I need to do some errands related to ny finance then have to do some shopping.
I am lucky that viral pianist grandpa was here at the mall.
I saw him in Facebook already because some appreciative audience uploaded his video and it went viral. Lolo is like a casual mall visitor. It happens that there is a piano display which is free for anyone to play with and he decided to take the sit. After that, he visits here more often. Lolo is not only good but full of energy in his performances. One could not help but sing. He’s so approachable and even accepts requests. Now, he enjoys playing this piano regularly and everyone can now support him by giving money in his small “Marks and Spencer” bag beside the piano. I won’t mind because he gives performances nothing short of spectacular.
Of course I can’t let this moment pass by without my own recording of this Amazing Granpa…and some of my singing too with bits of “yehey” and “wow”.
Can’t Help Falling In Love
Quando, Quando, Quando
I think I finished three songs before I moved on. I have to buy new bb cream, lipstick and some toiletries. I also in the mood for new clothes. I alot monthly budget for that.
This me in the fitting room with the blazer I ended up not buying.
I finished my shopping with a small time hang-out in Starbucks. It was not in my plan but the the rain was heavy and my mobile phone battery was almost drained. I charged it in Starbucks while I drink another cup of hot coffee. After that I booked a ride back to my original home.
My sister and mother were having dinner when I arrived. My sister immediately ransacked my shopping paper bag . They teased me because I bought new lipstick again!!! My sister opened it and applied the lippie immediately. She liked it.
While upstairs, my sister and I talked about random funny things we saw in the internet. I opened my laptop and researched about that mysterious song that captivated me today. I also made my sister listen to it. To my surprise, the song lyrics looks like it is not a love song at all. The lyrics doesn’t even make sense if you don’t spend time thinking deeper about it. It’s deep. One can have its own interpretation. Where it is a love song or not, it’s up to you.
Here’ s a lyric video. Another trivia, its part of the OST of Twilight movie series. I’m not a fan that’s why I don’t know.
I got an interesting interpretation of this song from songmeanings.com
IMO, there are dual, yet similar, themes running through this song: (1) an individual’s loss of innocence/idealism; and (2) the degradation/dissolution of the mythical “American” dream.
The first verse sets our protagonist as an innocent child (quick, wet, diving too deep) – newly born, baptized, full of energy/enthusiasm, carefree. We get a glimpse of what’s to come through the “blind” eyes of the adult world whom the child can already see seem focused on material things (“plastic toys”). The “cops” (his own adulthood) crash the party and he’s forced to grow up and give up his pure youthful enjoyment of life (cut his baby hair). Thus, he begins his quest to find his meaning/life in this adult American landscape. For me, it also brings to mind the end of the idealism of the peace/protest movement of the late 60’s…the system crushes the uprising…the hippies cut their hair…and wander off…going on to what?
Well, the second verse tells us exactly where our protagonist’s journey has landed him…a big fat safe spot with the adults of his youth. He’s achieved the “American Dream”, or has he? Now all talk and no action. He curses himself and the wrong/injustice he sees around him, yet he idly sits and watches these “poison rats” (the establishment, big business, corrupt government) slither by and destroy his ideal world. He bides his time in his magazines, finding pleasure in viewing some advertisement of folks fishing in some idyllic river. He is not out there himself, but even if he was, he would be merely pillaging/ruining/sacrificing a place of nature (“blood of christ mountain stream”).
It’s a really depressing song, but it’s certainly beautiful.
How about you? What could you interpret with this song? I would really love to know!
July 22, 2018. Sunday
I got a lot of things to say today. I think today was productive. But damn I was not able to sleep properly last night. I think I’m not used to sleeping in my original home anymore. I went back early to my dormitory because I badly needed sleep. It’s 9:54pm now as I write this. I want to write more but my body needed rest. By the way, I have done some editing and uploaded it in Facebook. Here are they.
I also did a capsule review of Marugame Noodles. I decided not to write a separate wordpress blog post for the mean time because my mobile photography was not so good. I did not do justice to a great-tasting food.
And I haven’t shared my the full output of my Levitation Photography edits. Here it is, uploaded since yesterday. I’ll be writing a separate blog post of my editing photography and editing process for this. Check it out soon! And please follow my Facebook page Gurezu Blog too!
That’s all for now. I’ll be sleeping before 10 pm for the first time in many moons. Is this the start of a new life from being night owl to morning person? Let’s see!!!
Bye for now Lovelies!!!