Do you create original songs as a solo artist or as member of a band? If you say “OO!” then it’s about time you get to know and join “Oo: Originals Only“, a movement that caters to the independent Filipino original music makers. It is originally founded by Guji Lorenzana who also a musician himself. He strongly believes in Filipino talents so he wanted a venue and a community where independent artists could showcase their original music and find their audience.
I attended a recent OO event at the “Upperhouse”, just at the second floor of “The Brewery” in 10th Avenue corner 38th Street, Uptown Parade Taguig. This is just across Uptown Mall if you are not familiar. I came here because I want to see “Mojofly” perform. It’s one of the popular bands way back college days. I haven’t heard of them for a long time so I’m curious to see them again. I was not aware of what “Oo: Originals Only” until that night and I’m really glad I was able to know because this is a kind of movement that I will wholeheartedly support.
These were some of the photos I took before the event and in-between performances. I love the wall designs in Upperhouse. The venue as a whole looks fancy with all gold fixtures.
- MetroGroove PH. This electronic pop trio. I am no music expert but their sound makes me feels like I’m in a trance. I think its because of the richness in electronic and guitar works. I like to record their new-released single but my camera won’t do justice with the music quality. So I just searched it in spotify. Hear it now in this link “In Your Arms”
“Stay with me. I don’t want to be alone. “
More info about MetroGroove: The band consists
of lead vocalist, Marjorie Martinez, keyboard player/music producer and vocalist,
Aaron Escueta, and guitar player, Lance Garcia. The band started when Aaron & Marj
wants to jam with their laptops, keyboard, and guitar until Marj decided to call Lance
to play the guitar. The band started to compose original songs and play gigs in 2017.
2. EJ De Perio: He was introduced as the voice behind 2017 McSpicy TV Commercial “HALIK”. I can’t remember the commercial though. He sang a few lines and I think its not important if I remember or not. He got a super handsome voice and I’m about to hear more about it LIVE! Listen to his songs at his Spotify Channel and you’ll find what I’m talking about.
More info about EJ: is an 18 year old singer – songwriter. He is a passionate, creative and
inspirational artist that brings excitement to people in order to create a memorable
experience that they would share to others. He recently released his 1st EP album “HOME” which you can download on Spotify.
3. Mikee Misalucha. This is my most favorite among my new artist discovery last night. I like the quality of her voice and how she maneuvered it to unlikely melodies. I enjoyed every original song and cover she performed with her pianist. It seems she has not released any songs in spotify yet. I searched for her original songs in her youtube but still did not found any. However, she has done beautiful covers like “Remember Me” from animated film Coco and Moonriver. I am mesmerized but she needs to release her original songs in social media real quick.
More info about Mikee; She is a singer- songwriter whose music incorporates the following
genres: Indie pop / Folk / Country / Pop / Alternative Rock / Contemporary R&B
She also has a single out which you can check out in her social media
Social Media Accounts:
3. Guji Lorenzana. He is the founder of Oo: Originals Only. He is a singer – songwriter, actor, host, and DJ – based in Manila,Philippines, originally from the Bay Area, California, USA. He got a wonderful song in spotify and in youtube: We Are. I actually like the chorus, pretty catchy.
And I must say this dude is quite handsome, isn’t it?
Aside from being a lead singer of his rock band, he’s also an actor and host, Guji is actively seen on Philippine television and movies. In music, he actively DJ’s in the clubs. Guji is also known to do various collaborations with a variety of music acts and genres, locally and worldwide.
Social media accounts:
4. MOJOFLY. It’s nice to see Lougee again. She’s still as beautiful as perhaps 10 years ago when her Cream Silk Commercial was the staple of girl power that time.
And good news that Mojofly is going back in OPM scene after seven years of absence! On top of that, I finally got the chance to watch them live that night! I’m lucky!
As of January 2018, Mojofly is now part of Yellow Room Music. The band has finally
released their first single in 7 years last February 2018 entitled RALLY . It is now
available through Spotify, Itunes and other music sources online. Check this link to hear it.
5. Nicole Laurel Asensio. This girl is rocking on heels. She belted high notes like an opera artist. So I am not surprised to discover that she’s also a theater actress. No wonder that whatever she does on-stage, even just chilling out or drinking a cocktail, felt like a performance itself. I kind of intrigued at the fusion of classical sounds and rock so I explored more of music in her youtube channel.
Nicole is a Filipino singer-songwriter. After providing lead vocals for
all-girl rock band General Luna, she began a solo career and released her first album
Schizoprano in 2015. The album merges Nicole’s background in theater and classical
music with her more recent forays in rock and roll.
- Social Media
As much as I want to finish the whole event, it was getting late and I still have work tomorrow morning. But overall, I wish OO would have more successful run in the future. I heard that more popular bands will join the next events like IV of Spades and my favorite Itchyworms. I’m truly excited for this.
Are you also a fan of OPM and want to support this passion project in any way? Are you an Filipino creating original music? Then you might be interested to collaborate with the next OO event! It’s open to all genre! Reach out to the following accounts below.
Facebook: Originals Only
For Media Partnership:
For Event Partnership:
Zahra Bianca Saldua